Monday, January 11, 2010

A truly random thoughts kind of day

I sit right now in bed (yes, it is 1pm on a Monday), catching up on Facebook, other people's blogs, and getting ready to watch some Arrested Development on hulu and do some knitting. Although, after yesterday's fiasco, I might be willing to take a day off! (I made two different hats, and neither one turned out right the first time. Aarrg.)

As I write this, I have a lot of things on my mind. Namely, how on earth I am going to get more business for my shop, how we are going to be able to pay rent in a few weeks, why the State of Oregon hasn't called Todd back regarding his unemployment claim, the mess that is the house (I will probably deal with that tomorrow - not in the mood today), whether or not I'm going to be able to do a craft fair at the end of the month, how my coffee is getting cold right now, and also that it is almost Xavier's nap time and I might have to be vacating my bed so he can take a nap...

Too much for one brain!

On the upside, I did find out that I was accepted to do a contract gig at the Convention Center in a week working a trade show. That will at least pay for phones and our electric bill.

Having been unemployed now for a while is both liberating and degrading. Liberating in the sense that I get to spend time with the kids (both good and bad), I get to shower - or not, as after all, it saves water and electricity - and makeup - whenever I want, I can choose to do laundry today or tomorrow, and I can spend the whole day working on a project and not feel bad about it. Degrading in that no matter what jobs I apply for, I am told I am either over or under qualified... for retail. Seriously? If I'm applying for a professional position, then my experience isn't applicable, even though it could be exactly what they are looking for....

I guess it's time to dust off those typing skills and write that fictionalized memoir I keep talking about... :)

2 comments:

The Kid In The Front Row said...

HAVE ANY OF YOU EVEN SEEN A CHICKEN?

I say, forget your real world concerns and all this internet stuff-- just go and watch Arrested Development, for days. Nothing else is really important, apart from Tobias' sexuality.

Loni said...

Good luck on the job hunt. I'm trying to find a part-time job, but I'm running into the "overqualified" quandry a lot, too.

Post a Comment