Sunday, March 21, 2010

Awesome Honey Wheat Bread

Let me start by saying that this isn't my recipe. I can't remember where I found it, but should the developer come across my little corner of the internet, please leave me a comment so I can give you credit and link back to your site. Please. :)

That being said... here is the best, easiest, no knead honey wheat bread I have tried. (it's even better when you make it yourself, because then you get the fantasticness that is the smell of freshly baked bread through your house!)

(All measurements are US, as well, I'm from the US... if someone can convert them to metric, let me know! I'm an equal opportunity baker. :))

Super Easy Honey Wheat Bread

4cups Warm Water
1 TBSP Sugar
2 TBSP Yeast
(Keep these separate)

2/3 c Sugar
2/3 c Vegetable Oil
2/3 c Honey
4 tsp Salt
6-8 c Whole Wheat Flour - if you can find it, Bob's Red Mill is fantastic
4-6 c All Purpose Flour - I prefer unbleached, personally

Add the warm water, sugar, and yeast together in a small bowl and set aside. Leave this alone for about 5 minutes.

Add the Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Salt, and Honey to your mixer bowl. Add sugar and yeast mixture, lightly blend.

Add Wheat flour 1 cup at a time. It should start to look like this...

Side Note: I have a Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer. This is a LARGE recipe for this size of mixer. It is quite possible to do the whole thing at once, however, you do have stop fairly frequently to clean your dough hook and give the motor a break... OR, half it. :)


After you have added all of the wheat flour (I usually wind up with about 7 cups), change from your paddle attachment to your dough hook.

Add Unbleached flour 1 cup at a time... and dust as needed. I let it mix for a bit as I add each cup. Now, DON'T WORRY if your mixer starts to look like this...


As I said, just take a second to scrape it down. I don't set the speed over a 2 when it gets to this point.

While this is mixing, set your oven to its LOWEST setting, whether that is Warm, 150, doesn't matter. Prep a metal or oven safe bowl with vegetable oil and pull out some plastic wrap.

After the dough is done... trust me you'll be able to tell - it will pull from the sides and stay that way. Lightly coat your hands in either flour or vegetable oil and work the dough out of the mixer bowl and into the bowl you have prepped. Cover with the plastic wrap and pop in the oven, making sure you TURN IT OFF. You just want it warm in there. Leave dough in the oven for about 45 minutes.



While this is rising... CLEAN UP! :) Also, prep 4 bread pans. I like to use glass for at least one of them so I can keep an eye on what is going on in there. At the end of 45 minutes, pull the bowl out and punch down.


Separate into 4 loaves, and while you are doing this, reheat your oven.





Place loaves back into warm oven for about 30 minutes.




After 30 minutes, pull loaves out, increase heat to 365, and bake them for 25-30 minutes (here's where the glass comes in handy!)



And, Voila! Now, when you make four loaves, one of them will wind up smaller. If you want 3 perfect ones, you can do that too, but I like to have one to snack on after I've made them. These freeze really well, and defrost just like any other bread... toss them on the counter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment