Friday, March 19, 2010

Cooking Day

Lately, I have been completely wrapped up in my art projects that I have been neglecting my other creative love: cooking. I love my Kitchen Aid, I love getting my hands yucky, and I love having a tangible product. That is the one thing that makes reading and riding difficult for me lately. Not being employed (other than as a mom), it is hard to find things to do that produce something. Sure, the laundry gets done and the dishes are clean, beds made, etc., but there is no production of something of value or of substance. Cooking and crafting at least produce something. So that being said... here's what I've done today...
Granola Bars!
This is a crazy easy recipe...









4.5cups of oats

1c Flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat and half unbleached)

1tsp Baking Soda

1tsp Vanilla

2/3c Softened Butter

1/2c Honey

1/3c Brown Sugar

Whatever fruit/nuts/chocolate you choose

Bake at 325 in a 9x13 pan for 18-22 minutes - longer if you want them a little crunchier.

This is a great basic recipe, however, I did add some cinnamon and if you look at the picture, they are a little on the crumbly side. Next time I would probably add a little extra honey and maybe an egg as a binder. Great flavor though!


Also, I decided to try some breakfast cookies... and you can find this recipe here. The only modification I made to this was instead of banana chips (which I didn't have) I added 1/2 a banana in with the wet ingredients, and omitted nuts (our family isn't crazy about them)


And now... back to my knitting... oh, and did I mention I also made spaghetti sauce too? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment