Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Cancellation of an Icon


Sadly, the great television show known as Reading Rainbow has come to an end. I first heard a rumor about this a few weeks ago, and it was confirmed the other day on Perez Hilton's website, as well as various others.


I remember when I was younger, not wanting to leave the house until after Reading Rainbow was over. I have always been "a reader" and I firmly believe that this particular show reinforced that trait. From the stories in the middle of the shows to the silly situations that LeVar Burton would find himself in.


A different sort of personal connection - my maiden name is Spock, and I thought it was hilarious when my dad would turn on his Star Trek:The Next Generation show, and there my Reading Rainbow guy was... with a banana clip over his eyes... :)


Within the past few years, I introduced my son to this show and the child who HATED reading slowly started coming around. Now, I have to explain to him why one of the shows that he really liked has been cancelled... because of money. It is unfathomable to me that we can go out and spend millions of dollars to make horrid children's movies, but no one can step up to save this terrific show.


With great sadness, we say goodbye to the third longest running children's televisions show in PBS history.

No comments:

Post a Comment