Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Head Case - Post number 1 for today...

One of the things that I have noticed about working out... riding the bike, going to the gym, running, hiking, whatever... is that I tend to shower far more frequently - twice a day (okay, sometimes three times). Due to this, and the fact that I have to wash my hair each time I shower... I have had the WORST case of dry scalp/itchy head. I have tried the shea butter shampoos, which I love-but it isn't quite enough when I am washing my hair that frequently. I did find a GREAT home remedy - I usually have to do it two nights in a row...

Take about a cup of olive oil (yep, just the stuff you cook with), about a 1/2 cup of milk, and some honey (no real measurement here - maybe about a tablespoon or two - just make sure that you drizzle it in as you whisk, otherwise it will just get gloppy). Mix this together - make sure to heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to make it nice and warm. Lean over the bathtub or sink and SLOWLY work it into your hair. It helps to have a helper. Wrap head in a shower cap or a towel for about ten minutes (longer doesn't hurt, but shorter doesn't work) and then wash your hair like normal - with a very gentle shampoo... a baby shampoo works great for this process.

Two treatments later, my head isn't nearly as itchy, I just have to take a day off of the workouts to let my head get some of the natural oils working again....

No comments:

Post a Comment