Friday, September 11, 2009

The Last Airbender



One more post for today, as this is something that I am crazy excited about. Long ago, when it was cool to watch cartoons, there weren't very many that had a really good story line. They were all one episode, get in, get out, save the girl, move on.

A few years ago, when Ethan was younger, there was a show on Nickelodeon called "Avatar: The Last Airbender." As the show progressed, it drew you farther and farther into the story. It tells the story of a boy named Aang, who was trapped (intentionally - kind of) for 100 years in a glacier and found by a brother and sister. Aang is the Avatar, the only one in the world who can master the four elements (earth, water, air, and fire). During the time Aang was in the glacier, the Fire Nation came along and has basically taken over the world. This cartoon, which is well done - both in plot line and artistry, caught our attention.

Once we moved, we no longer had cable (I didn't think it was necessary), we lost track of the story. Recently, we rediscovered one of the DVDs that I had purchased for Ethan. The youngest, Xavier, LOVED it. He likes anything involving ninja type stuff. Each of the elements can be controlled by "benders" and each of these benders styles are based on different martial arts techniques. It goes into a lot of Eastern philosophy and belief systems, which makes it interesting on a whole additional level. So, naturally, we had to go out and buy the entire series on the 3 different sets of DVDs. :)

I just found out that M. Night Shyamalan (I know I spelled THAT wrong. :) ) is making a live action version. I am soooooo excited for this movie, yet very hesitant at the same time... as I am such a huge fan of the show, that I would HATE for the story to be ruined. Even Ethan said that it wouldn't be the same without the same voices, etc. Hopefully, it will be as fantastic as the show...

I realize that I am sitting here talking about a cartoon, but it is just that good. I am not normally attached to movies, characters, etc., but you find yourself being sucked in to this particular group of characters - every show on television should be this well written in order to catch both kids and grown ups alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment